First of All Full Credits to Team in Modaco . Please find full credit and details at: Modaco ZTE Crescent Unlock Thread . I’ve just rewritten the steps for simplification purposes only.
If you are starter, there are two parts to the section: (a) Unlocking .. & (b) Installing ROM
Pre-requisites. Please install below softwares into your Windows PC.
- Unzip /Archive Software. I prefer 7zip.
- Either (Android SDK) OR else (Install ADB + Drivers)
- QPST Tools - Download Here
- Unlock File for Vivacity (Unlock_Vivacity.zip) OR San Francisco2 (========). BEWARE: Using incorrect will BRICK your device. Extract it using 7zip into a folder. (eg:Vivacity_Unlock_Directory)
- If you want a new ROM installed, download the ROM. Copy this ROM into your Phone’s SD card. (in Phone’s SD Card create a folder “ROMs” and put the rom inside that for easy identification. See “Install ROM” section below)
- First Check if your Phone is already Unlocked, sometimes you never Know!!
- Enable USB Debugging in your Phone (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging)
- Connect your phone to the PC. In most cases, Windows will detect/install the required Drivers. Wait for some time and ensure everything is Green (Windows installing all drivers correctly)
- Turn the Phone OFF and disconnect from PC.
- Press and hold the Volume Down and power buttons together. This SHOULD bring you to a screen saying FTM. (Sometimes First Try will log you into Android. Shut down again, remove the battery, wait 10s, put battery again, RETRY vol down + Power Button .. repeat until you get FTM ).
- Connect back your Phone to PC to the same USB port which you connected before. Since you have QPST installed as a pre-requisite. Find “QPST Configuration” from START MENU in your PC, Click on “Ports” and then the “Add Port” button. (Mine was configured at COM13). Now Press OK.
- Without Closing “QPST Configuration” , open (Start Clients -> “Software Download”)
- Click “Backup” on the utility and choose where to save the “QCN” File. Save this into your PC at a safe location.
- Locate the saved QCN file and check the size of it. Ensure that its more than 10KB. if NOT try again the previous steps.
- Navigate into the Unlock file folder. (eg… Vivacity_Unlock_Directory ) and run “download.exe”. (BEWARE: Ensure that you are running the correct unlock file. If you use Vivacity unlock file for OSF, it will brick the phone permanently)
- If all goes Well, a pop-up window will come with a “READY” green button below “START “. Click START
- Should take atleast 2 mins.. If everything goes well, you should see a “PASS” Screen.
- Go back to the “QPST Configuration” -> ”Software Download” utility and click “Restore”. Find the .qcn file you saved and restore it.
- Once its successful, close the “QPST Configuration” utility.
- Phone should be unlocked by now. You can remove the phone from PC.
- Install ClockWork Recovery Mod (CWM). Steps shown here.
- If you don’t have a ROM ready, it will be still stuck in screen with some boot. Something like below Screenshot.
(b) Installing new ROM
- Ensure you have a suitable ROM. As of 2012-07-25 I recommend using “CyanogenMod 9 for the ZTE Crescent“. Please read the Pro’s and Con’s before you Decide. (courtesy to Dazzozo and rest of the team for all the efforts)
- ROM as it is (DO NOT unzip) , copy this into your Phone’s micro SD card. (Hope you create a “ROMs” folder within SD card). (If you can’t copy via phone, take the SD card out and put into your PC and do this action)
- Optional – Download items like Gapps, Boot animations etc.. , download them and put them into the “ROMs” folder.
- In your Phone, From the last step of Unlocking, navigate using Volume Up/Down key. Use Menu button for Enter and Back Button for going back.
- Select “Install Zip from SD Card”. Navigate down using volume buttons and Select “ROMs” and then select the above selected ROM.
- This should install the ROM. It will take atleast 2 mins to install the ROM
- Install Gapps in similar manner
- Go back and reboot the system. The first reboot will take time.. say 5mins.. (don’t fear if its stuck in the boot logo for long.. that’s just first time only)
- You should be good by now.. Just make some changes into your Android ICS …